When files are classified using the classification endpoint, the type of file will classify as either Contract or Non-contract, and then assign a sub-type, into 15 contract types and 20 non-contract types.
This type of document classifications can be used for many purposes. However we primarily find classifying documents are valuable when prioritizing documents that are most important to review, identifying when a subject matter expert might need to be assigned to look at a document, and mass assigning or grouping of documents is required.
Important notes when classifying files:
- In the case that two different classification types apply to a document, Zuva will prioritize and choose the most likely classification type.
- Non-english language documents are not classified.
The classifier will identify the following types of contracts:
- Business Transaction Agt - Agreements entered into in connection with (or ancillary to) a business transaction. Includes purchase agreements, subscription agreements, underwriting agreements, escrow agreements and letters of intent.
- Credit-Related Agt - Agreements entered into in connection with (or ancillary to) a loan transaction. Includes credit agreements, commitment letters, guarantees and promissory notes.
- Distribution Agt - Agreements pursuant to which a party agrees to distribute goods or services for another party. Includes distribution agreements, franchise agreements, wholesale agreements and reseller agreements.
- Employment-Related Agt - Agreements entered into in connection with (or ancillary to) an employment relationship. Includes employment agreements, change in control agreements, incentive compensation agreements and collective bargaining agreements.
- Equipment Lease - Agreements pursuant to which one party leases equipment to another.
- Governance Agt - Agreements with respect to the governance of an entity, including shareholders' agreements, partnership agreements, operating agreements and joint venture agreements.
- Indenture - Agreements between issuers of debt securities and trustees. Includes high yield indentures, investment grade indentures and agreements ancillary thereto.
- Insurance Agt - Agreements with respect to insurance, including insurance policies and reinsurance agreements.
- Intellectual Property Agt - Agreements governing the use or transfer of intellectual property. Includes license agreements, royalty agreements, intellectual property transfer agreements and development agreements.
- Litigation-Related Agt - Agreements pursuant to which parties agree not to take litigious action against one another, to settle disputes between them or to indemnify each other in specific circumstances.
- NDA or Non-Compete Agt - Nondisclosure or confidentiality agreements whereby a party agrees not to disclose information confidential to the other party. Also includes non-competition, non-confidentiality and non-disparagement agreements.
- Real Estate Agt - Agreements entered into in connection with (or ancillary to) a real estate transaction. Includes real estate purchase agreements, real estate leases and related assignments and guarantees.
- Service Agt - Agreements whereby a party agrees to provide services to another party. Includes service agreements, consulting agreements, engagement letters, financial services agreements, management services agreements and transition services agreements.
- Structured Finance Agt - Agreements that govern structured finance or derivatives transactions. Includes ISDAs and repurchase agreements.
- Supply Agt - Agreement pursuant to which a party agrees to supply goods to another party. Includes supply agreements, quality agreements and warranties.
The classifier will identify the following non-contract types:
- Accountant Consent - Consents by accountants to the use of their firm name in public disclosure documents.
- Banking Document - Forms or documents used in banking. Includes deposit slips, loan forms, pension forms and powers of attorney.
- Retail Receipt - Documents evidencing payment.
- Court-Related Document - Statements or documents issued by or submitted to a court. Includes arbitration rulings, complaints, court opinions and pleadings.
- Disclosure Document - Disclosure documents of a company. Includes information statements, offering memoranda, prospectuses and statements of executive compensation.
- Due Diligence Material - Documents setting out the parameters of due diligence. Includes checklists and request lists.
- Financial Statements - Financial statements of a company.
- Invoice - Invoices or bills.
- Lease Application or Abstract - Lease applications and abstracts.
- Manual - Documents setting out instructions or procedures, such as an instruction manual.
- Minute Book Material - Minute book material, including director or shareholder resolutions and minutes of a meeting.
- Organizational Chart - Diagrams showing the structure of an organization.
- Policy - Documents setting out principles and guidelines of an organization. Includes board compensation policies, corporate governance policies, health and safety policies and privacy policies.
- Press Release - Official statements issued to press about a particular matter.
- Request for Proposal - Documents that solicit proposals through a bidding process.
- Rules - Sets of explicit regulations or principles governing conduct, such as competition or board game rules.
- Tax Document - Forms submitted to governmental bodies regarding tax matters.
- Wire Transfer - Forms containing wire transfer information.